bugling american elk - yellowstone national park wyoming

WYOMING: Game and Fish reminds hunters of common violations to avoid


WYOMING: Game and Fish reminds hunters of common violations to avoid

Screen Shot 2015-09-08 at 10.12.18 AM

CHEYENNE – Every year as hunting seasons get underway, the Wyoming Game and Fish Department’s offices receive numerous questions about various game laws and what hunters can and cannot do while in the field.

Some of the questions come from new residents who are not familiar with Wyoming law and how Wyoming laws may differ from other states. Most Wyoming laws are a matter of common sense, but there are some laws and regulations that are violated more frequently than others. The following is a list of five common violations that crop up every hunting season: 

Failure to Tag — Every big and trophy game license has a carcass coupon attached. And each license has the tagging instructions printed on the coupon. When the animal is killed, simply detach the tag from the license and date the carcass coupon by cutting out the entire day and month of the kill. Sign the license and attach to the carcass before leaving the site of the kill. The coupon may be removed during transportation to prevent its loss, but it must be in possession of the person accompanying the carcass. You must detach, sign, and date the tag to comply with the tagging regulation. If any one of these is omitted, then a violation has occurred.


 Shooting from a Vehicle — Simply put, it is illegal to shoot any wildlife except animals defined as a predator in state law (coyotes, skunks, etc) from any motorized vehicle. This includes off-road vehicles and snowmobiles. To legally fire a weapon, a person must be out of the vehicle. Hunters holding a handicapped hunter permit are exempt from this requirement. 

Shooting from a Road — It is illegal to shoot or attempt to kill any wildlife from any public road or highway. No person shall fire any firearm from, along, or across any public road or highway. A public road is defined as any road that is open to vehicular traffic to the public. The road surface, the area between fences on a fenced public road or highway, and the area 30 feet perpendicular to the road surface on unfenced public roads is considered the public road. Two-track trails on public land are not defined as public roads.

 antelopeFailure to Retain Evidence of Gender — Many Wyoming licenses require the taking of a specific sex of animal. There are also season dates in different hunt areas when only a specific sex of animal can be taken. To satisfy the proof of gender requirement the regulation states: “in areas where the taking of any big game animal is restricted to a specific sex of animal, either the visible external sex organs, head, or antlers shall accompany the animal as a whole or edible portion thereof.”

Trespass — Wyoming law states that no person shall enter private land to hunt, fish, or trap without written permission from the landowner or person in charge of the property. The license must bear the signature of the landowner or agent of the landowner on whose property the hunting is taking place or legitimate proof that permission to hunt has been granted. It is the responsibility of hunters to know if the land is public or private. To assist in this, the Bureau of Land Management has maps showing public and private lands. Maps can be obtained from the BLM by calling 307- 775-6256. Many Wyoming sporting goods businesses also carry BLM maps for their local area. For hunters with GPS units a micro SD chip is available from the Game and Fish (307-777-4600) that shows land status and hunter location.

 Wyoming laws and regulations can be found in every set of regulations for each species. Persons with questions on these or any other Game and Fish laws and regulations can call 307- 777-4600 or any Game and Fish regional office.      


Preference point application period extended to Nov. 2 for 2015

CHEYENNE – Hunters now have an extra month to purchase preference points with the recent change of the preference point deadline from Sept. 30 to Oct. 31. The preference point deadline will be even longer this year – to Nov. 2 since Oct. 31 is on a weekend. When application deadlines fall on a weekend or holiday, the deadline is extended to the next business day.

Preference points are available for qualifying big game hunters who did not apply for a moose or bighorn sheep license this year and non-resident elk, deer and antelope hunters who did not apply for a license this year or who did not draw their first choice license and did not mark the preference point box on their license application.Under the preference point system seventy-five percent of available licenses in each hunt area and license type will be allocated to the preference point drawing. Applicants with the highest preference point ranking will receive priority in the preference point draw. The remaining twenty-five percent of available licenses will be allocated in a random drawing regardless of preference poinA youth applicant wanting to be awarded preference points must be at least 11 years old at the time of submitting an application for a big game limited quota license and must be at least 12 years old when in the field hunting. A youth applicant wanting to purchase preference points only must be at least 11 years old at the time of submitting an application and must be at least 12 years old by Dec. 31 of that year.

Preference points may be purchased online at https://wgfd.wyo.gov/Hunting/Preference-Points. Hunters with eligibility questions or other inquiries about preference points can call 307-777-4600.

(Contact: Al Langston 307-777-4540)

Hunters reminded to pick up stamps

CHEYENNE – Hunters are well aware of the necessity of having hunting licenses before going afield, but along with those licenses, certain stamps are also required. The following is a listing of the various stamps and permits applicable to Wyoming hunting:

Conservation Stamp – Required of all licensed hunters or anglers with several exceptions. It is not required of holders of daily fishing or hunting licenses. It is also not required of persons holding any Wyoming pioneer hunting or fishing license.


Pheasant Management Permit – Required of most pheasant hunters including youth who do not need a bird license and holders of the Pioneer Bird/Small Game license, who hunt areas wherever pheasants may be stocked from Wyoming Game and Fish Department bird farms. These areas include Game and Fish wildlife habitat management areas, numerous walk-in areas, Glendo State Park and all state lands in Sheridan and Johnson Counties. A complete listing or areas where the stamp is required is found on page 15 of the Upland Bird Regulations pamphlet. An exception is made for landowners and their immediate families who hunt pheasants on their lands enrolled in the walk-in program. An exception is also made for hunters who hunt walk-in areas in Bighorn, Fremont, Hot Springs, Park and Washakie counties where pheasants are not released by Game and Fish.

Elk Feedground Special Management Permit – This permit is required of all hunters who hunt elk in areas 70, 71, 75, and 77-98.

Archery License – Archers hunting in the archery preseason need an archery permit in most areas. The exception is for holders of Type 9 archery only licenses. Persons holding Type 9 licenses do not need a separate archery license. 

Federal Migratory Bird Hunting Stamp (Duck Stamp) – Required of all waterfowl hunters    16-years-of-age and older to hunt ducks, geese and mergansers. (Not required for doves, sandhill cranes, coots, snipe, rails or crows)

This file is for use to print on EPSON Stylus Pro 4900. Exhibition Fiber Paper

Harvest Information Program Permit (HIP permit) – Required of all licensed hunters who hunt migratory game birds. The HIP permit is also applicable for holders of Pioneer and Lifetime hunting licenses. HIP permits are nontransferable to other states. A separate validation is required in each state where migratory birds are hunted.

ORV Permit – Must be displayed on ORV while operating ORVs on public lands and other designated roads, trails or areas. Permits may be obtained at Wyoming ORV dealers and the Wyoming State Trails Program at 307-777-6323. Additional information about Wyoming ORV use is found on the State Trails Program website  http://wyotrails.state.wy.us/ORV/Permits.aspx.

(Contact: Al Langston (307) 777-4540)

camo orange hat

Ask Game and Fish

 Q. Does camouflage orange satisfy Wyoming’s hunter orange requirement?

A. Yes it does. Camouflage orange has various shades of fluorescent orange and other colors in a broken pattern. Wyoming law requires the wearing of one fluorescent orange garment during the firearm’s season to include a hat, shirt, jacket, coat or sweater of a fluorescent orange color. Any one of these items in solid orange or a camo orange pattern would fulfill the requirement.

You are receiving this email because you signed up for Wyoming Game and Fish Department’s updates.


Screen Shot 2015-09-07 at 12.24.30 AM



Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *