Who doesn’t love a classic Gyro? We found this recipe for gyros made with venison that is sure to please even the pickiest of eaters. We like them with tzatziki sauce, which is made with plain Greek yogurt, cucumbers, garlic, lemon juice or red wine vinegar, and sometimes a little dill. Topped with a dash of red pepper flakes and some fresh tomatoes and onions, you get the perfect twist on the traditional Greek fare.
Courtesy of Allrecipes.com
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 1/2 tablespoons ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 2 teaspoons dried marjoram
- 2 teaspoons ground dried rosemary
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- salt and pepper to taste
- 3 pounds venison, cut into 1/4 thick strips
- 1 (12 ounce) package pita breads, warmed
- Whisk together the olive oil, cumin, garlic, marjoram, rosemary, oregano, red wine vinegar, salt, and pepper in a large glass or ceramic bowl. Add the venison strips, and toss to evenly coat. Cover the bowl with plastic wrap, and marinate in the refrigerator at least 2 hours.
- Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Cook the venison strips, a half pound at a time, until the venison has browned on the outside and is no longer pink on the inside, about 8 minutes. Pile the meat onto warmed pitas to serve.