Kick this bear roast recipe up a knotch with some paprika & chili powder or cayenne on the outside of the roast. Make it a full meal by adding some chopped carrots, potatoes, sweet potatoes, and other root vegetables you like. With bear meat, be sure you always cook it to at least 160 degrees.
Longhunter’s Bear Roast
Courtesy of Food.com
Time: 3hrs 15min
- 3 -4lbs bear roast or 3 -4 lbs rump roast, thin fat to 1/2 inch
- 1 1⁄2cloves garlic, sliced
- salt and pepper
- 2small onions, chopped
- 1⁄2stalk celery & leaves
- 1⁄2teaspoon sage
- 3tablespoons flour
- 1⁄4teaspoon thyme
- 1⁄4teaspoon savory
- 2cups beef stock
- 1teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- Preheat oven to 500 degrees.
- Cut deep slits in top of bear roast and insert garlic slices.
- Salt and pepper the meat well.
- Lay a few fat slices under the roast, put it in preheated oven, and roast 20 minutes or so until the fat browns.
- Turn the heat down to 300-325 degrees and roast about 2 1/2 hours.
- When done, remove roast and the fat cracklings to a hot pan or platter.
- Gravy: Retain 2-3 tablespoons of fat in the roasting pan with the drippings and in it saute the finely chopped onions and celery.
- Stir in the flour and herbs.
- Stir on a low flame until thickens.
- Add Worcestershire sauce.