This recipe is a crowd-pleaser. It’ll give you a tender, juicy pheasant breast with a sauce you can’t get enough of. Serve with any sides you’d like, but it’s great with rice and fresh vegetables–perhaps carrots, broccoli, or green beans. The rice will be great with extra sauce and the vegetables will pair well with the richness of the sauce. Baked potatoes are also delicious with this sauce.
Salt & Pepper
Cream of Mushroom Soup
Cream of Chicken Soup
Sautéed Onions & Mushrooms
1. Sautée onions & mushrooms in butter until tender, seasoning with salt & pepper. Set aside.
2. Pre-heat oven to 300 degrees
3. Create sauce: Mix equal parts sour cream, cream, cream of mushroom soup, and cream of chicken soup. Add sautéed onions & mushrooms to taste and lots of parmesan cheese.
4. Season flour with salt & pepper in a large bowl
5. Roll pheasant breasts in seasoned flour
6. Pan-fry until brown on both sides (do not cook through)
7. Place pheasant in covered casserole dish or roaster.
8. Pour sauce over pheasant until covered. Place cover on dish.
9. Bake 3-5 Hours on low heat (300 degrees)
10. Remove cover during the last half hour to brown.
Let rest out of oven several minutes before serving.
Kick it up a notch:
Try one of these additions:
-Add some fresh herbs to the sauce. Sage is a great addition.
-If you like things a bit spicier, add paprika plus a little chili powder and fresh cracked pepper to the sauce.
-Alternatively, sauté some hot peppers with the mushrooms & onions to add to the sauce.
-You can also season the flour with paprika or dried herbs.
-Lemon zest is also a great addition to the sauce.