Earl Peterson gave us this delicious stew recipe and we couldn’t help but pass it along! Earl is father to WTA CEO Mark Peterson and often appears alongside Mark in Cabela’s Instinct.
1. 4# of lean elk
2. 1 cup of all-purpose flour
3. 1/3 cup of olive oil (or more if needed)
4. 1 Tablespoon of Sea Salt
5. 2 Tablespoons of garlic/black pepper seasoning
6. 2 cups of beef stock
7. 1 can cream of mushroom soup (no water added)
8. 1 can of beefy mushroom soup (no water added)
9. 1 can of stewed tomatoes (use juice)
10. 1 can (11 ½ oz.) of V-8 Juice
11. 2-4 oz. cans of sliced mushrooms
12. 1 Sweet onion
13. 1# of baby carrots
14. 1 ½# of red skin potatoes
15. 1 cup of frozen peas (optional)
1. Cut lean elk meat into 1” pieces. Drench them in flour blended with garlic/pepper seasoning and sea salt, and brown in olive oil. Put into slow cooker.
2. Cut sweet onion into chunks, sprinkle on sea salt and garlic/pepper seasoning and brown in olive oil. Add to slow cooker.
3. Brown mushrooms in olive oil with sea salt and garlic/pepper seasoning. Add to slow cooker.
4. Add baby carrots to slow cooker.
5. Quarter the red skin potatoes and add to slow cooker.
6. Add stewed tomatoes to slow cooker.
7. Put beef stock, V-8 juice, cream of mushroom soup and beefy mushroom soup into a bowl. Whisk until smooth. Add mixture to stew.
8. Cook on low for 7 ½ hours (or High for 4 hours).
9. If desired, add frozen peas, and cook stew an additional ½ hour, or until peas are warmed through.