Including bacon & bacon fat in this burger mix gives a juiciness to these burgers that you can’t get with venison-only burgers. Top these burgers with your favorite traditional burger toppings, or caramelize some onions and sauté mushrooms for the top. Jalapeños add a great kick. Slice them and add them raw if using cold toppings or roast them on the grill until the outsides are charred and chop. Swiss or sharp cheddar are great on top of these burgers, but colby jack or american are delicious as well.
- 6 slices of bacon, minced
- 2 shallots, minced, or 2 T minced onion
- 1 t. garlic, minced
- 2 T olive oil
- 2 lbs ground venison
- 1 egg, beaten
- salt & pepper
- 1 T worcestershire sauce
- 1 T chopped parsley (fresh)
- Cook bacon over medium heat until crispy and fat is rendered. Put bacon & grease in a heat-proof bowl and cool.
- Heat olive oil in the same pan and sauté garlic and shallots/onions until softened.
- Add garlic & shallots/onions to heat-proof bowl
- Once cool, mix in remaining burger ingredients to bacon/grease/garlic/onion: venison, beaten egg, salt & pepper, worcestershire sauce, chopped parsley. Mix until evenly combined and refrigerate 20 minutes.
- Pre-heat outdoor grill to medium-high heat or grill pan to medium heat.
- Shape venison mixture into 6 burger patties
- Cook to desired doneness.
- While cooking burgers, toast buns on cooler part of grill
- Top burgers with cheese if desired
- Serve & enjoy with desired toppings!